Madhrasathul Salaahiyya was inaugurated on 19th April 1927 as Madharusathul Salahiyya. the first Government school in the Maldives. It was Sultan Mohammed Shamsu’dheen III who decided to begin a Government School on the counsel of Sheik Ibrahim Rushee and Sheik Hussein Salahu’dheen. Sheikh Hussain Salaahu’dheen was appointed as the principal of this new School.
The school was soon relocated to a new building due to lack of suitable space in its first home at Fadiyaaruge. The school was renamed with this move to a new building. It became The Madhrasathul Saniyyathul Hukoomathul Mahaldheebiyya (Madhrasathul Saniyyaa) on 6th June 1928. The student enrolment at that time was 69 boys. The school sessions were held from morning 7:00-9:00 and from 9:30-11:00.
Madharusathul Sanniyya students are credited for performing the first staged drama in the Maldives. The drama was titled “Furifaa Huri Ehcheh Gudu Gudeh Naalhaane”. It was performed on 7th June 1946 on the eve of the one-year anniversary of Dhaarul Iqaamah.
Majeediyya School’s Old Boy’s Association was formed on 7th July 1946. In conjunction with the inauguration of this Association, a special football match was hosted between the Old Boys and then students of the school.
On 6th of April 1947 Madharusathul Sanniyya’s name was changed to “Madhrasathul Majeedhiyya”, named after Sumuvvul Ameer Abdul Majeed Rannabandeyri Kilegefaanu. A special ceremony was staged for the renaming of the school. Then President, Mohammed Amin Didi, was present at this meeting. Sheikh Hussein Salahu’dheen was the Chief Guest. President Mohammed Amin unveiled the school motto, “Nihil Labore Difficle” (nothing is impossible with hard work).
In 1960, Mr. J.V. Hill was appointed as the principal and served in this position until 1971. The Majeediyyan’s of J.V. Hills era remembers him fondly for his strong academic leadership and service.
The fourth decade could be attributed to the development of the formal English medium instruction in the Maldives, as we have it today. The first batch of foreign teachers arrived at the school in 1960 to prepare for GCE O’level classes. Among the first batch of expatriate teachers were Mrs. George, Ms. Thelsinga, Mr. Lawrence, Mr. Nanayakaara, Mr. Amenial and Mr. Fenings. Mr. Amaraseyna, Mr.Outskoon, and Mr. Dissaneyaka joined soon after.
The first GCE O Level classes started in 1960 and In 1962 the school uniform was changed to white shirt and navy-blue trousers. On 11th February 1962 the first batch of prefects were elected. The first cadet route march was held on 8th March 1962.
The first ever inter-house football tournament was held on 15th June 1957 and the first hockey tournament was held on 8th November 1962.
The Boy Scout movement was first introduced in Majeediyya School in 1963. This was the first time that Scouting was introduced in the country. The head of the Boy scouts was Ibrahim Faamudheyri Kilegefaanu. The scout commissioner was Mr.Ibrahim Nasir. The scoutmaster was Mr.Anwar Hilmee. The patrol leader was Bandhu Mohammed Kilegefaanu. The scouts were invested on 18th June 1963.
The Dhivehi Literary Association, Ekuveringe Gulun, was established on 14th February 1964. It was entirely operated by students at that time. The English Literary Association was also formed during this year. The purpose of creating these two associations was to support the improvement of academic and literacy activities, as well as promoting student leadership.
The School Brass Band was formed on 1 July 1965 with 27 bandsmen. Gymnastics was introduced to the school in 1961 and the first cricket club was formed in the school in 1966.
First batch of students set for GCE, O’level examinations in 1967. This batch of students, together with the teachers, worked for six years to achieve this milestone. The principal then was Mr. J. V. Hill and the Headmaster was Honourable Mr. Umar Zahir.
On 27th May 1969 Madharusathul Majeediyya’s name was changed to Majeediyya School.
On 1st January 1970, the school colors were changed from Brown and White to Red and Green. The school badge and flag were changed accordingly. The school uniform was changed as follows in 1971: short sleeved shirt and shorts for Grades 5 and below, and long-sleeved shirt and trousers for Grades five and above.
On 25th March 1968 the first group of cadets who went abroad left to Sri Lanka for a Cadet Camp. They traveled on MV Adaranfaru, a wooden motor vessel.
On 13th August 1969 as Sea Scouts Group participated in an international Scout Camp for the first time. This camp was held in Sri Lanka.
Golden Jubilee Celebration
In 1977 Majeediyya marked its Golden Jubilee. The student enrolment then was 989 students. A ceremony was held on the 19th of April to celebrate 50 years of educational excellence. Golden Jubilee events included the unveiling of a commerative magazine and a special procession. The most remarkable event of the Golden Jubilee was the Jubilee Carnival. It began on 20th April 1977 and captured the imagination of the entire country. A stage drama, depicting the history of Majeediyya, was also hosted to celebrate the Jubilee.
Computer Studies was introduced in 1987 and the first batch of students set for GCE O’level Computing in 1989. In order to facilitate the academic needs of the students, a bookshop in the school was opened in 1991.
A School Board was established in 1994 to provide academic and management direction and guidance to the school. The Chairman of the first School Board was Mr. Adam Manik (Maizan).
1995 was the Golden Jubilee year of the school’s Dhivehi literary association, Ekuveringe Gulhun. To celebrate this joyful occasion, an annual literary week opens to all other secondary schools in Male’. Ekuveringe Dhuvas was also introduced to mark this occasion.
On 19th April 1992, on the occasion of the 65th anniversary of the school, a time capsule was buried. This capsule contains the messages of students, teachers, staff, parents and well-wishers. This capsule is to be opened on the centennial anniversary of the school.
The Golden Jubilee of the Majeediyya Cadets was celebrated in 1995. The National Cadet Corps. was established this year.
Beginning in 1997, a special program began in Majeediyya to ensure that every student who leaves the school is computer literate.
In 1997 Majeediyya obtained first place in the National Oratory Competition for the third consecutive time.
A concerted effort was made over the past five years to improve the academic standard of students. The fruit of this effort was realized in 2001 when Majeediyya School scored the 1st place in the Academic Performance Score (APS) among all the secondary schools in the Maldives.
In 2001 Majeediyya began to teach towards Cambridge O’Level examinations. This was in response to a decision made by the Ministry of Education to change from London O’Level to Cambridge O’Level.
In relation to the phasing out of Grade 6 and 7, the student enrolment decreased slightly over towards the end of the five-year period. At the end of 2001, the student enrolment was 2117.
2002 is a significant year for Majeediyya for two main reasons: (1) Diamond Jubilee year and (2) it’s the year that a second boys’ school was created out of Majeediyya. (Dharumavantha School).
Due to a change in education policy Majeediyya a secondary school was changed to a primary and secondary teaching school with the introduction of grade 1 enrolling in the year 2011 by providing co-education in Majeediyya which is a key milestone in the history of Majeediyya. Thus, the first batch to complete up to grade 10 was in the year 2021.
Majeediyya School has provided well-balanced curricular and co-curricular activities, during it’s 75 years of academic service.